Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Do not pet the bears

I leave from the side kitchen door every morning. That's my drill. One day on my way out, I met a momma bear and her cubs. Cute and cuddly? No. I froze.

My options were to: pet the bears or find preventative measures to keep them away. Fortunately, they ran off at the sound of the closing door. Hold that thought.


This is good. Trained bears are also good, so what's the point?

Do not pet the bears.

Regardless of a bear's demeanor, whether the market improves now, or fifteen years later, do not let it derail the good decisions you have made. If you are contributing towards savings, keep saving. Ask yourself first if the Gucci bag on sale is a practical move. Do you really need it? But hey, I'm no fashion expert.

These stats and indicators are good news. I am hoping for an economic rebound. But if I've learned anything, the best decisions are made early, based on facts, not just the warm fuzzies. Start with these links.

Dave Ramsey - studies and strategies on managing your finances
Andy Stanley - direction - not intention - determines your destination.
Seth Godin - If you're an entrepreneur, read up.
Patrick Lencioni - Common sense and simple wisdom

I bought new garbage cans. My bear encounters have lessened.