Friday, October 16, 2009

CC's and other people's mail

Sometimes I don't know why I'm cc'd. Clearly I have no value to contribute to the chain, which leads to an intrusive inbox of "stuff". The same is true for lists. To date, I still receive mail addressed to the previous owners of my house.

As a brand, you've lost track of your customer (previous owners), and you've turned off new prospects (me). Obviously, a change of address is not important. Multiply that by the rate of people moving to new addresses within your target demographic.

No one likes other people's mail.

We can point fingers, but let's take the high road. Try these.

1. Track customers who've moved.
2. Partner with unintended recipients to match addresses.
2. Involve the postal office. This will help their data too.

Now we can all be friends.