Friday, February 6, 2009

The Tortoise and the Hare

Due to the snow, I drove at a steady 25mph, I couldn't help but notice SUVs pass me at 40mph in the snowy terrain.

Were they aware that their big ol' SUVs could flip over like the overturned SUVs two miles back? Possibly, but they keep on plowing ahead. Unfortunately for them, maybe for you, and even for me, their decision could have damaging consequences.

I remember when I first started driving, my mentor would always tell me, it doesn't matter how fast you go. You'll get there. Drive steady to reach your goal safely. Don't speed to get there first only to get banged up later. Those words have saved me lots of speeding tickets, accidents, and the flip of the bird, sometimes.

The same is true for website restructuring, launches, or whatever it is you're working on. First is great, but if the underlying motive is to be first without having to ask difficult questions, conducting usability groups, objective discussions, you'll find that first is going to cost you. Being the first to have the most customers without having a great product is going to cost you. Being the first to promise this or that feature is great, but if it's not usable, no one wins.